Finding a job for the Christmas season is a great way to earn money as well as get new experiences, since Christmas is the time when many businesses multiply their income compared to the rest of the year. It’s not only a perfect fit for students and the unemployed, but also for those who want to get extra hours to supplement their main job.
Getting a seasonal job gives you the opportunity to diversify your work-life, take advantage of your vacation and not lose sight of your goals. Some people even make a career out of seasonal jobs – they mix and match so they’re working whenever and wherever they want.
When should you apply for the Christmas season jobs?
One of the most important factors in getting hired for a seasonal job is starting your job search as soon as possible. As for Christmas, employers begin hiring as early as in August. Yes, don’t be surprised! Winter hiring begins in late summer and continues through autumn, so once again, the earlier you apply, the more job options you will have and the easier it will be to get the job that interests you the most.
What are the most frequently offered Christmas jobs?
Before you start the job search, you must prioritize your goals and bear in mind that, although it may be a temporary job, you will have more possibilities in some types of positions than in others. Therefore, the first thing is to be clear about what type of job you want to find.
As we have already highlighted, the busiest season for retail, e-commerce and hospitality hiring starts in late summer to early autumn, and then extends to the holiday shopping season. During this time, companies need to fill lots of different positions, including:
- Customer service
- Delivery drivers
- Cleaning/sanitation workers
- Warehouse workers
- Order pickers
- Promoters for Christmas campaigns
- Shop assistants and many others
So, summing up the job offers, it’s best to apply for jobs in the logistics and distribution sector, in department stores, packaging companies, shopping centers and food chains, since they will all need more staff.
Tips for finding a job for the Christmas season
When thinking about getting a job, it’s important not to spoil the Christmas spirit, the one that makes things go a little better for us and when our motivation goes through the roof. By this, we mean that the sooner you find your perfect match, the more time there will be on your hands to enjoy the pre-Christmas period.
To help you avoid being stressed when rushing your job search during the Christmas season and get everything done months before it arrives, follow these recommendations:
1. Update your profile on Workee. If you want to find a temporary job around Christmas time, you will have to edit your profile and focus it towards this goal. In fact, the more personalized it is and the more it suits the vacancies you like, the better.
2. Stay on top of new job postings. It’s important to keep yourself updated about numerous daily vacancies on Workee so that you can increase your chances by applying for the best job offers as soon as they appear.
3. Get organized. If you are already employed or a student, make sure you can fit a new job into your busy schedule and avoid being burnt out. Even if you don’t have a fixed studying or working schedule, it is important to maintain order in your day-to-day life. So try to spend every morning looking for work, while in the afternoons you can spend some time studying or enjoying your free time.
4. Focus on what you like. On Workee you can find a job that will make you grow and will give you the opportunity to take advantage of the Christmas vacation. If you find satisfaction in what you do, it is possible that this temporary job will become a more lasting one. Sometimes it is a matter of attitude and motivation.
Things to keep in mind when looking for a seasonal job on Workee
- Using the Workee advanced search options, you can filter the results by key words, categories, hourly wage or location to optimize your search. It will help you see only the jobs that fit your preferences, doing a more exhaustive search and saving your time.
- In the list of things that employers look for in workers, experience comes second after availability. So as long as you can adjust to their schedule, it’s okay if you’ve got no experience. But of course if you’ve worked somewhere before, be sure to brag about it in your profile.
- Keep in mind unpredictable scheduling when working during the Christmas season. Most vacancies include a Saturday and Sunday shift, with a compensatory shift during the week or additional pay. Again, availability is key for companies.
сGiven the sheer number of Christmas job opportunities out there, looking for them can sometimes be difficult. However, on Workee you can perform this task more effectively, since you can find all the available vacancies in one place. All in all, start your search as soon as possible, stay flexible, and be ready to start working right away.
Good luck finding your dream Christmas job!